Cisco ASR 1001 Router
Get embedded services for enterprise and service provider networks in a small form factor of 1-rack unit (RU).
The Cisco ASR 1001 Router offers a default system bandwidth of 2.5 Gbps upgradable to 5 Gbps with a software-activated upgrade license. It houses one shared port adapter (SPA) slot that supports single-height SPAs. It includes four built-in Gb Ethernet ports. The first IOS XE software release supporting ASR 1001 is Cisco IOS XE 3.2.0S.
The Cisco ASR 1001 Router also introduces the concept of integrated daughter cards (IDCs). Six models of the Cisco ASR 1001 Router are currently available:
- ASR1001: without an IDC
- ASR1001-2XOC3POS: with an IDC that provides two OC3 POS ports
- ASR1001-4XT3: with an IDC that provides four T3 ports
- ASR1001-4X1GE : with four 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports
- ASR1001-HDD (160 GB): with a 160-GB hard disk drive
- ASR1001-8XCHT1E1 : with eight channelized T1/E1 ports
The IDCs are not field-upgradable.
The ASR 1001 is ideal for:
- High-end enterprise branches
- Managed services, including VPN and firewall
- WAN aggregation and secure WAN
- Deep packet Inspection (DPI)
- Route reflector
- Low-end broadband aggregation (LNS)
Software activation is supported on the ASR 1001 for some licenses. These licenses enforce consolidated packages such as the software feature sets for K9 and non-K9 IP Base, Advanced IP Services, and Advanced Enterprise Services, as well as the performance upgrade from 2.5 Gbps (default) to 5 Gbps.