Applying a configuration file to a Fortinet Fortigate Firewall
- General assumption: The device is configured according to factory defaults.
- Connect to the serial console of the device (just like to a Cisco device, same serial port settings)
- Log in using username
adminand no password (just hit
- Connect your computer's network port to the MGMT network port of the device. Configure your computer's NIC to use a static IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0).
- Access the device's web interface on https://192.168.1.99 and log in with the same credentials as above.
- In the navigation bar, go to System → Config → Advanced
- In the Scripts section of the page, select Upload Bulk CLI Command File and select your config file.
- Hit Apply. You'll lose connection almost instantly, as most probably the config file will set the IP address of the MGMT interface to something other than 192.168.1.99.
- In the CLI window (serial terminal), check if the hostname has changed and now matches the hostname in your config file. Optionally, check the complete config by issueing the
- The new config is now applied and saved to the device.